Behind-the-Scenes (2)

And......you're back again for round two, huh? That makes me O-SO-HAPPY. I hope you enjoyed reading the second installment of Who is Saint Giovanni?


I've had some interesting experiences this time around. I had to resolve the crackly microphone problem while making the YouTube "audio book." That was no fun. And the result was a slightly too-quite recording that took only about 4 takes to get it right. *Sigh* I think it's time to invest in a semi-professional microphone and editing software. Any suggestions or tips on that?

(While still on the topic of the YouTube video)
In which I discuss the pronunciation (or attempt at it) of Italian words...
I practiced the words in advance: Mio dio, mia cara, mama mia, Signore De Luca, Rossi, Paolo, Ponte Vecchio, Boboli, Gelato, and...I think that's it. BUT I'm sure I still sounded like an American narrator pretending she can speak with an Italian accent. Ha! I am really...really...shy about speaking foreign languages.

The ins and out of chapter two
Here's a little quiz. When Carla is listing all the places she plans to take Emily, does one of the places stand out from the others, one that seems a little less "Italian" than the others? Quick...rush back to the electronic page...take a peek...ah...there it is.

The corn maze in the countryside. Whenever I read that line, I kinda laugh a little. I added the corn maze into that sentence to foreshadow an important event, but among the gelato...opera...Boboli...Ponte Vecchio..."corn maze in the countryside" sticks out like the only orange in a bowl of apples. What do YOU think? Have you ever pictured or wondered about Italian corn mazes? I doubt it. But....BUT...something exciting may happen there a little later in the story:) Personally, I love corn mazes. When I decided to add a corn maze into the story, it's because I had never been to one...but was really ITCHING try it out. (As of last October, I have completed two corn mazes. One on Halloween night, too! Spooky!)


Pictures of real places.


Ponte Vecchio
It's depicted on the front cover of WiSG? and also below:

I have stood on that bridge, looking out at the river Arno from under the middle arch. Nice view? Yes. Crowded? Always. That's about ALL I remember about it. It's been about 5 years since I went to Italy. I had to do tons of research to jog my memory a little. One leg of that research was hopping onto Google Earth (3D). Do it right now. I dare you. Search for "Ponte Vecchio" and it will whisk you away to a 3D model of the bridge! It's almost as good as being there. :) Almost. 



I'd also love for you to "like" my author facebook fanpage :) :)

Until next time,

RANE